[RC] Tevis accident - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lenita Prentiss carlprentiss@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well I've been reading everybodies opinions and "should of, could of's" and I
just want to put my 2 cents in. I rode this trail many times before I did
Tevis. It is a beautiful trail. And we fell off 3 weeks before Tevis 2002. The
wonderful people who get the trail ready just happened to be working on the
trail out of Deadwood repairing Kaputz springs so the water would flow under
the trail instead of over it. We stopped to water there and it looked different
to my horse and when he stepped back the soil was loose and he and I went over.
I bailed and all I could say to my friend Vicki Testa is he's dead!! She has
such a possitive attitude, and assured me that Another horse had been rescued
there by Frank Smith and we would attempt to get him out. She tied her horse at
the flat spot before the springs, (where it used to be a watering spot until
someone wreaked it) and headed down the hill. I also went down until I came
around a mound of dirt and my horse popped up and stood there waiting for me to
help him. I was able to untack him, after being eatin alive by mosquitos, and I
looked up and noticed the hill was terraced from when the springs was built, or
the trail many years before. And I told my horse we were going up and don't he
dare jump on me. It took us 3 leaps and on the 4th and final leap he broke from
me and lunged for the trail. He made it and was LUCKY