[RC] WS 50 Accident--INVESTIGATE - Mary Abbott

"Some of the posts talk about the rider having to take responsibility,
others talked about a tail-gaiter being responsible..." (from Catfish
Daniels' post)

Exactly...  I myself was particularly bothered when it appeared the blame
was being put on the rider.  After all, she lost her horse!  Bad enough to
have to deal with that.  It is a "tough" trail, and there are places where
you simply cannot pull off--uphill is a cliff, and downhill is a cliff.

"I got the heebie-jeebies on that section more than on the actual California
Loop, and because that section was early on in the ride, there was a number
of times where there was stop-and go, and with all the dust, horses slightly
bumped into me, and I probably did the same." (from Catfish Daniels' post)

Perhaps the person behind the horse that went off the cliff was having horse
control issues as well--and possibly for good reason. That is an absolutely
terrible area to have horses crowded in!  On the Tevis, horses are way
spread out by the time they pass Deadwood and enter into El Dorado Canyon.
They are not hyped like they are at the start of a ride. (Most of the horses
have already been out for nine to eleven hours by the time they get there.)

Again, I have to say this is why there should be a thorough investigation,
(note: emphasize "thorough") so that we ALL can learn from this accident and
stop drawing conclusions based on hearsay and one's own limited, personal
experiences.  AERC will be looking into this accident, right?  Let's get the
facts.  I hope people are being interviewed as we speak...  And IF in this
case, or any others, it turns out someone CHOSE not to control their horse,
and thus put others in harm's way--for ANY reason (naiveté and stupidity
included), well, there should be some repercussions.  If that was not the
case, let's study the situation further to learn if there is some way this
type of thing could be prevented in the future.  (Like, possibly not a
Deadwood start?)

"The trail from Deadwood leads past the cemetery into the gorge of El Dorado
Canyon and steeply descends for three miles... It is considered a difficult
and devious path, with steep inclines. The side of the canyon is abrupt and
precipitous." (from the Western States Trail Foundation's official Tevis
website: http://www.foothill.net/tevis/trail/TOMICH.HTM)

Mary Abbott
Grass VAlley, CA