[RC] lots of questions! - Marlene Moss

Title: Message
Ok, since my horse ended up with a stone bruise at our last ride, I had plenty of time to start thinking of the things we need to do to our trailer, my horse's injury and lots of other stuff.  So here is my list of questions I need answers for.

1.  I decided I wasn't totally happy with our ice boots.  We have 2 different brands with inserts that we freeze.  One isn't so bad and has had other good uses, but one I didn't like at all.  I saw someone with some boots that she soaked in ice water and then they were nice and wet and flexible to put on the horse.  She didn't know the brand since she'd bought them used and there were no markings, so what ice boots of this type are out there (pros and cons) and who sells them?

2.  This is my first experience with a stone bruise.  The horse is a mustang with big tough feet and she had easy boots on - it was a nasty pointy rock that was imbedded in road and stuck up a couple inches - any horse that hit it would have regretted it!  Gotta learn not to look at those rocks, I think that's when they step on them!  Anyhow, the horse was slightly better the second day and quite a bit the 3rd day.  She's trotting just fine on softer footing and starts head bobbing on hard road after 10 good steps - this is barefoot, probably would be better with boots but obviously not ready for riding yet.  I'm sure these things vary, but I really have no level set of expectations for how long a stone bruise may take and how soon after she seems to trot sound we should get back to work.

3.  I have an Exiss trailer with big drop down windows, but little tiny sliders.  No grill or mesh left behind if we drop down the big windows.  So the ventilation, even with top vents is not ideal.  I saw other Exiss trailers with grills and some with grills and mesh.  Does anyone know if I can just add the grills (and if I can contact Exiss to get them) or if I would have to replace the entire window with the right combination window/grill?  Something to keep in mind for those shopping for trailers - little tiny windows are not sufficient in the heat!

4.  People have said that it is a good idea to travel with the horses loose in the trailer so they can get their heads down to clear nasal passages.  For those who do that, do you remove your lead rope or leave it on?  I usually just stuff mine in the hay bin and it doesn't go anywhere because the horse is tied in.  We've started travelling with the horse's loose - accidentally first, but since there were no problems (I was scared because we travel on some nasty bumpy roads including our driveway) we've started doing it more often.  I have left the leads on - didn't want the horses barrelling out of the trailer because they knew they were untied and not being able to catch them.  But I'm also concerned with them pulling the lead down and stepping on it and panicking.  I'm too short to reach the horse from the window (let alone the window latch!) to put the lead on right before we unload if my husband isn't around.  What is the best practice, am I just being paranoid?

5.  Leg wrapping/filling - when/why?  I have a horse that was ridden hard before I got her and tended to fill a little in the fronts easily (not just after hard riding, even just a long period of standing or the trailer ride.  Then she was at a trainer whose dog bugged her and she kicked the barn a lot and then her rears started filling after standing.  It's not a lot, I have occasionally wrapped her legs, but mostly just take her for a couple walks before bed and then first thing in the morning and it goes away quickly.  I'm not sure in my opinions on wrapping - I had someone tell me that just holds heat in, which may not be good either.  We've mostly done LD (the 50's have been on other horses that haven't filled and move around better in general).  So should I be more diligent and wrap all the horses to prevent these problems, just the one that has shown a problem or just keep walking her?  Is there damage caused when the legs fills or is this a natural healing reaction that we just aren't comfortable with?  Somehow I keep forgetting to talk to my vet about this one!

6.  I think that's it unless someone can convince my husband not to drive 70mph through Denver with heavy traffic and no shoulder due to construction zones!  He's a good driver and can see way better at night than I can so it just scares me to death!

Thanks for all advice,
Marlene

Marlene Moss
www.mphr.org (Mustang Performance Horse Registry)