Re: [RC] lots of questions! - abigail Madden

Tiger used to rub his butt raw when I tied him in the trailer from bracing against the back wall.  Once I stopped tying him in and he could move around more, this stopped.  I normally use rope halters with a long lead.  When I trailer, I used a flat nylon halter and I cut the lead to about 18" in length.  Just long enough for me to grab as he comes out of the trailer, but not long enough to catch a wheel if he happens to flip it out of the trailer window.  With it cut short like this he doesn't seem to step on it either.  It doesn't drag like a long lead, just sort of flops around.  Now when I put the flat halter on, he knows we're going somewhere and gets all excited.

Good luck,

abigail
Chico, CA

Marlene Moss <marlene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
4.  People have said that it is a good idea to travel with the horses loose in the trailer so they can get their heads down to clear nasal passages.  For those who do that, do you remove your lead rope or leave it on?  I usually just stuff mine in the hay bin and it doesn't go anywhere because the horse is tied in.  We've started travelling with the horse's loose - accidentally first, but since there were no problems (I was scared because we travel on some nasty bumpy roads including our driveway) we've started doing it more often.  I have left the leads on - didn't want the horses barrelling out of the trailer because they knew they were untied and not being able to catch them.  But I'm also concerned with them pulling the lead down and stepping on it and panicking.  I'm too short to reach the horse from the window (let alone the window latch!) to put the lead on right before we unload if my husband isn't around.  What is the best practice, am I just being paranoid?

Thanks for all advice,
Marlene

Marlene Moss
www.mphr.org (Mustang Performance Horse Registry)