Re: [RC] invocation--long reply - heidi

Well Barb, I totally agree with you.  I find prayer and religion to be
an extremely personal thing and would find some sort enforced prayer or
invocation at a horse event both inappropriate and offensive. Karen

First, I am ALL for freedom of religion and not forcing ANYONE to pray the
way I pray (and for the freedom to not be forced to pray the way they
pray).

That said--please tell me what about an invocation "forces" you to pray?
NO ONE can "force" you to pray--even if they stand there with a gun to
your head and force you to repeat words, they cannot force you to make
those words a prayer.

I have sat politely through invocations in faiths that express theology
with which I do not agree, and I am no worse off for the experience.  I
have sat politely through national anthems in countries not my own--I need
not disrespect their tradition in order to remain loyal to mine.

Part of religious freedom is a degree of freedom of expression of that
religion.  Public expression is not a matter of "cramming it down your
throat."  Our country was founded on the principle that people COULD
freely express their religion--be it a symbol in their window, a creche in
the yard at Christmas, a Mennorah at Hannukah, whatever.  We have crossed
the line and are approaching religious oppression when someone can no
longer express their religious feelings for fear of "offending" someone
else.  Whatever happened to freedom and tolerance?  Good grief.

As for invocations--good public invocations tend to be general in nature,
simply appealing to a higher power, being thankful for the venue, the
activity, etc., and hoping for safety and success of the participants.
Good invocations cross faith boundaries and are uplifting.  And if you
don't believe in a higher power, that's your business, too--but I would
submit that if you are offended by a plea for safety and a sense of
thankfulness that you likely spend most of your time being offended and
likely aren't a very fun riding partner anyway.

To keep this on topic, my dad did a beautiful invocation and closing for
the 1997 Pan-Am in Bend, and I know I have a copy of it somewhere.  If I
can find it, I will share it.  Many people were moved by it, regardless of
religious affiliation or lack thereof, simply because it was heartfelt and
appropriate to the event.  And if there was anyone there who didn't care
to "pray" as such, they are free to call it philosophy or whatever they
care to call it.  All that is asked is a moment of respect--no different
than what those of us of one nationality did when the anthem for the other
nationalities were played.  Is that really so difficult?

I really doubt that the Canadians felt that we were trying to "convert"
them to Americanism when we played our national anthem, nor did I feel any
such pressure from them when theirs was played.  And in the same vein, I
don't feel "pressured" by religion when I listen to a Jewish or Muslim
invocation, or Hindu, or any other sort of faith.  I try to look
respectfully toward our similarities and common interests, and I don't try
to put a "pressure" on an invocation that simply is not there.  (Now if
they came to my door and tried to convert me, that would be another
story!)

As an aside, I am currently in the process of putting together a company
to market my father's books, which my family has recently gotten back into
print.  They are clearly Christian in nature.  Yet, in going through the
files of letters that they have received over the years, one of the most
heartfelt and complimentary ones came from a Hindu man who was able to see
past the religious differences and appreciate the beauty of the books, and
who received an inner peace from reading them.  What a wonderful
lesson--to look to the common kernel in what another person is saying
instead of becoming offended because they expressed something differently
from the way you believe it.

Heidi