[RC] AHAM part two - Maggie Mieske

I can't describe what was going through my mind.mostly, how angry Nelson
would be that it happened at all. Then, Julie's story about losing her horse
at a ride last weekend and miraculously finding him (knowing I would never
be that lucky if they got loose in this neck of the woods) and then, the
real possibility of a vehicle hitting one or both of them. I tried to focus
on catching Max but Malik was driving him and at one point, tried to mount
him. By now, I was getting angrier and angrier at Malik and thinking that if
he LIVED through this, I was going to kill him or geld him!! Max wanted to
barbed wire fence. Unfortunately, he never encountered the GATE. He wouldn't
come to me or anyone else though he looked like he was thinking about it. In
mere moments, they managed to slip through our barriers and were heading for
Petoskey at a full run and while it was a straightaway to begin with, some
sharp curves that usually take some fast traffic were coming up. Pam Chapman
and Barb Kurti asked me if I wanted a ride.they were the closest and I could
hardly even focus on faces. I jumped in and we followed behind them. The
curve was coming. No traffic.yet. Pam was uncertain what she should do.I
knew they would either turn off and head into the woods or find a fast car
coming around that curve. I told her to PASS them, they wouldn't swerve into
us or get spooked by a vehicle. They didn't. She passed and got as far as
she could and then cut her vehicle to block the road. Barb Kurti had jumped
into the back when I got in the front seat and Pam yelled for her to "Hang
on!". I looked out the back window to watch.but they weren't stopping. As
they approached, they tried to get out of the way (this was told to me by
witnesses later) by running around the truck. But that asphalt was too
slippery and Malik started to scramble and skid. All I saw was my horse go
down and I was bolting out of the truck. As I exited, I heard a thud and
knew he had hit the truck. I expected him to be down, disemboweled and in
pieces. Before I could make it to the back of the truck, Barb had him by the
halter and he was standing there, out of breath, black skid marks, scrapes,
scratches and a little bit of blood. Pam also had a hold on Max.I can't
believe how fast all of this happened and how quickly everyone reacted. I
can't believe my horse is still alive. I told the story lightly this weekend
and have recounted his other accidents and injuries from previous years as
his "tradition".he has to show everyone how tough he is. But it was laugh
and be thankful or cry and be depressed. I was disappointed that our "ride"
never was. Malik is SO buff and in shape and did so well at Hopkins Creek
two weeks ago. I missed seeing Jenny (they opted to avoid holiday traffic
and stay home). But, we had our horses intact albeit sore and pitiful. We
walked them back to camp and Melanie Robinson, DVM paid us a visit to check
them out. Malik ended up with 4 or 5 stitches in front of the stifle (this
is the third leg which has needed stitches.only one more to go!) plus his
numerous scratches and scrapes. Max tried to do a "cowhorse" stop and has no
hide left on his hocks. They were pretty ouchy for awhile. At first I was so
mad at both of them, I wanted only to find the stingy-est, ow-iest medicine
I could find for both of them. I did give in and give them bute that night
and many times used the sprayer or sponge to put cold water on their hurts.
It must have helped because neither of them barely even swelled or had any
heat.unbelievable considering the force with which Malik must have hit that
truck. Going down maybe caused a lot of ugly looking marks but perhaps saved
him from an even worse fate! MORE THANKS THAN YOU CAN EVER KNOW, EVEN IF I
COULDN'T REMEMBER EVERYONE'S NAMES, TO ALL WHO HELPED AND TO ALL WHO ASKED
AFTER MAX AND MALIK'S WELL-BEING THE REST OF THE WEEKEND!!!

Miles of Smiles,
Maggie Mieske
mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable."
Christopher Reeve