[RC] AHAM part one - Maggie Mieske

AHAM, July 2004

This year I spent nearly the entire week before the ride getting ready. I
tore apart the tack room and reorganized it. I scrubbed the mats and inside
the horse compartment and swept and vacuumed and organized everywhere else.
I only forgot two things. The liquid Pro Bi and my Wolverine notebook (so I
could discuss some things with my trail boss and co-manager, Jim Yell). I
thought I wasn't doing too bad.

Jenny was coming from Illinois to ride Malik with her uncle Daniel coming
along to help crew and just generally annoy me which he does so well. J We
had signed up with Dr. Schott from MSU to participate in his electrolyte
study as well. The $250 "appreciation" bonus for doing so would certainly
help with Shore to Shore expenses.

We originally planned to head up Thursday but it was quite hot, Nelson and I
were both quite tired and still had several things to do on Thursday so
opted to get up early on Friday and haul up while it was cool. We arrived
shortly before noon, got set up, relaxed a short while, signed in for Jenny
and Malik (she couldn't arrive until that evening) and took a deep breath,
pleased for only forgetting two things. Nelson had to go to Harbor Springs
to shoe and trim a few horses and I was tired and my leg was sore so I
decided to get in the bunk, read and relax and maybe even nap. All was quiet
and well. We parked next to the flowing spring that comes out of a pipe,
into a big tank and spills over into a very small "pond" (not really big
enough to be called that) before flowing away into a tiny creek that runs
behind ride camp The sound of the water is so soothing and relaxing. It is
my favorite place to camp of all the rides.

Nelson was gone barely an hour when I heard a squeal, looked out the bunk
window and saw white tape from Max and Malik's corral go down. Even with my
pulled hamstring, I made it out of that bunk and the trailer in about 3
seconds flat. Let me further explain that this is our FIFTH season of
corralling these two next to each other.they most often nuzzle and scratch
each other's withers to the point of being ridiculous. I don't know and
never will know for a certainty what caused this moment of irritation
between the two. (Malik has been frustrated and upset since we lost Cherokee
who is usually his pasture mate every summer and has been traumatized by the
presence of two other horses here that I have been training for Mashallah
Arabians. Who knows??). But the fence had snapped a post and was down in one
critical corner and I just wasn't fast enough to catch them before they
escaped into the twenty acre open field. They gleefully galloped across the
field, straight toward the open gate..in this entire place, there is only
that ONE opening before ride day. No one could make it to the gate in time.
My only consolation is that at least they took no other horses with them. I
couldn't run. I had no vehicle. My sister, Mary, wasn't there yet. One of
the twin sisters next to us had gone with their truck..I hobbled as fast as
I could across the field (yes, I admit I was yelling at the top of my
lungs.."NO" many times and "WHOA" many times and hopefully the other things
I said were under my breath). Ride manager, Gene Dake picked me up in his
truck.by now they are in the road but other people and vehicles were trying
to corner them or at least head them back INTO the ride camp, stop any
oncoming traffic and keep them off the trail.

Miles of Smiles,
Maggie Mieske
mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable."
Christopher Reeve