Re: [RC] AERC points - heidi

However, back when my program counted the points, the points for the
National 100 Mile Championship counted all finishers equally, Senior and
Junior, as it had no divisions at all.  If a Junior was the first place
at a 100 mile ride, he got full first-place points towards the National
100 Mile Championship.  (Which means that a Junior rider could have won
the National 100 Mile Championship.) If that's not how it's done today,
then it was changed when (or after) they went to the new program.

IMO this is how the points should be calculated for the National 100
Mile Championship, unless the AERC decides to award a National 100 Mile
Champion in each Division -- Featherweight, Lightweight, Middleweight,
Heavyweight and Junior.  Why should one group of AERC members be
ineligible for such a prestigious award?

I have to agree with Joe about this--juniors should not be left out of
awards that are truly "overall" awards such as War Mare or the 100-mile
award.  Also, juniors (or rather their horses) are supposed to be eligible
for overall BC (and hence could place in the BC standings as well)--but I
have seen "selective application" of this as well.  Most rides go ahead
and judge the first 10 horses across the line (and since the BC score
factors in time, not placing, it is not a problem to do the scoring,
regardless of division)--but I've been to rides where junior riders were
not allowed to show their horses for BC and the Top Ten senior horses were
not considered.

Since War Mare goes to the horse, it really HAS to be figured on a truly
"overall" points basis, since the horse could have multiple riders.  (Our
stallion Abu Ben Surrabu had junior riders when he accrued mileage toward
his Jim Jones placements, and I know other stallions have as well--but
being a mileage-based award, the "points" issue doesn't factor in.  But a
mare should be able to accrue points toward her points-based award no
matter who is in the saddle as well!)

With regard to the 100-mile championship--one need not award one to every
division if we don't do the fair thing and truly use overall points--PNER
has an intermediate solution in that they offer a senior award and a
junior award for the 100-mile championship.  It has been sad to see the
lower numbers of juniors participating in 100s the past few years--but in
years past, winners of the junior award often did several 100s.  I believe
Lindsay Westergard won the award the year that she rode my stallion Abu
Ben Surrabu when he was campaigning for PNER mileage champion--she rode
him on three of the 100s that he did that year.  And other years in that
time frame there were other juniors who rode as many or more 100s, with
considerable competition for the PNER junior 100-mile championship.

Heidi