[RC] Shedding Dogs - Laurie Underwood

This isn’t exactly a Ridecamp question, but since so many of you also own dogs, I wondered if you might have a solution for me.

We acquired our first dog a couple of years ago.  I never had one as a child, so the poor dog is more like a guinea pig in some respects.  We quickly learned that dogs shed copiously in the spring AND in the fall, and during those seasons I vacuum at least once a day.  Maggie is medium haired – length and density wise, I think of Labs and Shepherds.  She was spayed when she was approximately 6 months old.  This spring she started shedding and hasn’t stopped.  She is shedding copious amounts of hair, and no amount of brushing, using a doggie shed blade, etc., seems to help.  I’m very tired of vacuuming, and ready to invest in a BIG bottle of Nair.  :o(

We keep thinking she’ll be bald soon, but there are no bald patches and her coat is soft and shiny.  Last year we started adding 1 measuring teaspoon of bacon grease to her food to help with a dry skin problem, but it doesn’t seem to do much for shedding.  I noticed that PetSmart sells a variety of products geared toward dealing with this problem, but before I plunk down my money, I thought I’d seek out RC advice.  Suggestions, please?!

Laurie Underwood