[RC] Idaho Spuds - tomnoll

Greetings:

Dot said just enough to whet your appetite about Idaho Spuds.  The ride is
great.  The 50 consisted of a 30 mile loop with an out vet check, then
back to camp for an hour hold, and then a 20 mile loop.  And, those 50
miles were honest miles ? there weren?t any short cuts.  On the first loop
we went up Washington gulch to a ridge top and then ran along the ridge
for a while.  We came to a great overlook and way down below, perched on a
narrow ridge, about the size of a postage stamp, was the vet check.  The
vets said it took the front-runners almost 20 minutes to go from the
overlook down to the vet check.

Steve and Cindy Bradley keep finding better and better trails with better
views.  Two years ago Idaho Spuds was Leslie and my first endurance ride.
Last Saturday Leslie and Max did their first 50 at Spuds (with a top-ten
finish and an admirable vet score!).  Idaho Spuds always provides
surprises and last Saturday near the end of the first loop, Leslie and I
found a bewildered and lost husky on the trail and we led her back to
camp.

Sue Nance set a rocket pace for the 50 and the rest of us just saw hoof
prints in the trail.  Gene Nance, along with Robert Washington and David
A. from the Idaho Equine Hospital, were very capable vets.  Skyla Stewart
and Tempo received BC in the 50 and Carolyn Roberts and Chaca received BC
and High Vet on the 30.  Sally Tarbet and Johnny received High Vet score
on the 50.

There were about 30 entrants in both the 50 and the 30 along with some
great trail riders.  Steve Bradley made very nice finishing awards with
same-day ride photos framed in polished endurance horseshoes donated by
Don and Pat Perry.  It was a great weekend for a great ride with very
gracious hosts and volunteers.

Best Regards,

Tom Noll
SW Idaho