[RC] Loco Weed - Marlene Moss

Title: Message
Is anyone out there dealing with loco weed?  Last summer I moved to a new place in the mountains.  We have 40 acres and quite a bit of loco weed.  I didn't realize how much since it wasn't flowering when we moved here, but I did know we had some and have been careful to make sure the horses have plenty of hay if the grass isn't plentiful.

So far none of the horses seem to be going after it, but I have seen them grab a mouthful, not caring if it was mixed in with some grass.  But since they are out on such a large area it is going to be hard to know if they are starting to eat to much.  I've done some research on the web and do know the stuff we have can be toxic, but haven't come across a way to deal with it.

I can't even imagine the effort it would take to wander this whole place and dig it up (which is tough since it has such long roots).  Is there a spray that would be effective that wouldn't kill too much grass and not be a problem for the horses?  We'd most likely walk with a sprayer and target the weeds since the property is very hilly and forested.

I know there are cattle, llamas and horses grazing on pastures with more loco weed than we have, but I'd still rather be cautious without having to remove the horses from the pasture.

Thanks for any ideas!
Marlene

Marlene Moss
www.mphr.org (Mustang Performance Horse Registry)