Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] gas/diesel trucks

Having had diesel trucks now, the first, 1991 Dodge Cummings (still have it and still going, 275,000 miles and only routine maintenance, no major problems), and then a newer one, a 2002 Dodge shortbed Cummings diesel, auto transmission.  It just didn't have the pulling power of the old one, probably due to auto transmission.  Traded it in in Feb. for THE  TANK  and oh mi gosh!!  Six speed manual, High Output Diesel engine, quieter, rides better, and WAY MORE POWER, than the other two.  Yeah, you can BURN Rubber with this thing;  it pulls our LQ up and over these hills and mountains (Hwy 44 to Lassen national forest has some 7%grades) like it's not pulling anything.  I am amazed by it, frankly.  We test drove brand new Ford Powerstrokes and Chevy Duramax (which I loved), but they just didn't come near the power. After all these years of driving diesel pickups and pulling various trailers, I sure notice the difference with the new Dodge HO 6 speed.  it has a tach, so I know I am not lugging the engine, but this sucker will pull the LQ up that 7%grade in 5th gear at 65mph.  Nope, I don't drive it that fast in the hills (or any where, with a trailer), but my husband just HAD to get around that too slow truck ahead...fuel mileage is around 14mpg pulling, 17-18 without.

What don't I like about it?? It is tall, we had to have sissy bars added to be able to get in;  also, I am short, so reaching the clutch is a pain, and hubby didn't get automatic seats. I think it's ugly, but the GUYS love it's look... also,  I HATE the payments $$$!!!  Renie