[RC] advice for first 100 - rides2far

Know exactly what time it will be dark. If there's a certain part of the
trail you need to be past  before it gets dark, pace your whole "day
time" mileage accordingly. Once it gets dark you've got all night with no
real change. Some places the moon seems to  help but I've never gotten a
bit of good out of it. Sometimes it rises after I'm already in (I suppose
you can check and see when the moon will rise) and once when it was
bright it just threw really deceptive shadows everywhere leaving parts of
the trail in total darkness and lighting up patches through the
underbrush so they looked like trail. :-P So...though you say you're
going to do it "slowly" make sure you get as far as you can in daylight
then you can do the after dark stuff "slowly" :-)

In the late afternoon it's easy to leave out on a loop and not realize
you may still be on it when it gets dark. If there's *any* chance it'll
go dark on you on a loop take your flashlight, etc. It's very hard for me
to remember how bad I'll need a light when it's bright daylight out and
I'm leaving a vet check.

Take a jacket for when it gets dark. Even when the temp doesn't drop
much, you slow down so much that you're not putting out so much heat and
you get cold.

Take food for when it gets dark. When you have been going like a demon
for 13 hours or so and you suddenly slow to a walk it hits you that
you're STARVED. The best peanut butter crackers I've ever tasted were
shared after dark.

Take a rump rug for after dark. The temp drops, you slow down, don't want
them to stiffen up.

Take 2 flashlights and spare batteries. Rode with someone whose
flashlight had turned on inside her pack and used up her batteries during
the day. I had a mag light and turned the top the wrong direction to turn
it on and the bulb fell out of the end. :-P  I have a little rubber
coated camo flashlight from Walmart that has lasted 6 years since my
first 100. I like the rubber coating cause it's comfortable to bite into
if I have to hold it in my teeth when I need both hands for something. I
have a cord tied to it so it can hang around my neck. Of course I've told
everybody how much I like my flourescent light for the breastcollar if
you want a trail light. The flashlight is just for hunting for markers,
casts too many shadows if you aim it forward.

Don't get left behind. In daytime it's no big deal to leave 2 minutes
behind a group. At night you really want to hang onto your buddies. If
they're leaving before you you could offer them money, or cry, or show
them how much food you're bringing along to bribe them to wait. If your
out time is 2 minutes ahead of somebody wait on them. Have a "Plan B"
person if that riding buddy gets theirself pulled. You really want
somebody riding along with you when you're hearing "Lions and tigers &
Bears!" in the woods. >g<

Sometimes even though there's food along the trail you can't see the
grass any more after dark. It's great it crew will meet you on a road or
something to give them something to eat. (remind other riders you have
this crew and will share so they will wait for you at the vet check!) If
you're leaving camp after dark and at a walk you can even carry a flake
of hay along to hand down to him. The horses are more hungry than tired
at this point. A crew that will meet you on the trail will sure lift your
spirits. This crew person needs to have spare jackets and all sorts of
junk in the back seat to allow for all the weird things you may find you
wish you had.

When you finish...keep that horse moving till the trot out!!!  Nothing is
more frustrating than having a horse get stiff while waiting for somebody
to bother to watch them trot out. Do NOT stand still a second till they
let you trot out!

Sleep like you've never slept before. :-))

You'll do great! Need me to crew?
Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!