Re: [RC] The Letter to The World and all that Jazz - Rae Callaway

You may have not been "matched up" with anyone because no one has expressed an interest in visiting your farm.  AHA does not do the matching.  People go to the website and express interest on their own and AHA sends them info on all the Discovery Farms in the area they requested.  If no one requests anything from your area, then you won't get any "match ups."  AHA may be slacking on many things, but don't criticize them for something that's out of their hands.

Rae
Tall C Arabians - Central Region

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Mary Golden dargonflyfarms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey all! My computer refuses to send out email, so here I am under "guest".

I've been reading the thread on the "changing of the Arab" quite earnestly, because, I, too, have the same sentiments of you all. Even thought I have 1 distance Arab and several more who are either destined to show (working hunter) or just for pleasure, I how much AHA would listen to all of us.

I guess I am just a tad discouraged because, at the prompting of several people who regularly show AHA, I was urged to pitch an article (or even a blurb) to the AHA member magazine about the Purebred Arab pony we have here that we rescued and has subsequently become a breed ambassador to school for kids to 1) meet what a "real Arabian horse" looks and acts like and also to 2) tell kids why it is important to take care of their animals. My daughter (who is now 4 as of Tuesday) thinks the world of her not-so-pretty, abused Arabian and the horse is ever so kind and gentle and patient. When I wrote the gal in charge of the features section, I mentioned all these wonderful qualities and how it would behoove the Arabian community to not focus so much on the glitz, money and glamor of the showring and, perhaps, to see that the Arabian is so much more. Now, note, I have been paid in the past to write things such as books, articles and the like, so it wasn't an unprofessional letter.

Well, in a nutshell, I was basically told that the AHA magazine devotes sooo much to non-showing endeavors as it was (which I didn't think they did), and, that while they were sure our little Arab was quite nice, they had their fill of "non-showing articles and blurbs."

So how much fuss is needed to make a change? I absolutely hate what the breed has become and how is is portrayed in the Arab magazines and perceived by people. I own 5 Arabians and all of them are stunning examples of what they *really are*. Some are Straight Egyptian, some are strictly halter lineage, some are performance horse and, well, the Arab pony is just an all-around love. My little breed ambassadors go out and meet and greet everywhere they go and are slowly changing the perception of the Arab (at least in my area).

And speaking of being a breed ambassador farm -- I signed up, too. We have no interest in breeding or selling. We just want to share our love for Arabians and help people find good appropriate ones, should they choose to do so. We have never been matched up, either. It seems that the farms they also showcase in the AHA member mag. are also the ones that "sold me my first horse" (as the "interviewed person" just happens to say).

Enough babbling ---
mary

===========================================================In my experience (22 year worth) most endurance riders are great people who
will go out their way to help and be friendly.
~ Laura Hayes