Re: [RC] Making money putting on rides...lol - Maggie Mieske

I've read all of this with interest and thought about my own motives in putting on a ride.  For me, it's like being Santa Claus.  I really delight in finding ways to surprise my riders AND volunteers, to help them have fun, come up with new ideas for "fun" awards even if it's only a certificate that recognizes the oldest person (the Fossil Award) or the "Turtle" Award or ?????  you name it.  I love it.   I LOVE to hear the laughter and see the grins of a newbie who has just finished their first ride, the stories and the "remember whens" even if those remember whens were when I wasn't even in it yet!  Imagine what it would feel like if your children got up Christmas morning and simply hated their gifts and cried and had a temper tantrum...coal in the stocking next year!!!  Or NO Christmas!!!  Some RMs put heart and soul into a ride... it's a part of themselves, a  reflection of themselves and it's hard to NOT take it personally.  I have several hundred dollars out of pocket before the ride ever goes on and I'm not sure of making it back (though we did last year with some seed money for this year).  For those of you who appreciate your RMs, please SAY SO.  For those of you who find a RM lacking, VOLUNTEER or BETTER YET, put a ride on yourself!!  :)  But please don't take away what I am trying to put back.  For Paddi and I that is partly what it's all about.  :)
Miles of Smiles,
Maggie Mieske
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable."  Christopher Reeve