Re: [RC] Lynne & complaints - Barbara McCrary

Some ride managers do so as a business venture, but I'd wager that most do not.  Generally speaking, rides do not make much, if any, profit.  A few generous RMs donate all their profit, or even their intake, to worthy organizations or charities.  I'd say that most RMs do so for the love of the sport.  It would take quite a bit of profit to offset the enormous amount of work involved in putting on a ride.  If a RM is able to put on a ride in a public area that has trails that are already maintained, or in an area that needs no trail maintenance, it is much easier.  Add trail maintenance to bookkeeping, communications, public relations, permit applications and fees, and it does add up to be quite a job.  Positive suggestions help a RM to locate the shortcomings and help improve the following year's ride; criticism merely causes hurt and anger for the RM.  Riders often have no idea what it takes to manage a ride unless they also have managed one.  A little consideration from disgruntled riders would be nice.  After all, why is it so important to have things absolutely perfect by the rider's standards?  Things happen that can prevent perfection; adaptability to the unforeseen goof-up is part of the sport.  To all riders who may be inclined to complain......Lighten Up!  It's not the end of the World if things don't go your way.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Lynne & complaints

I do understand that most (or is it all?) Ride Managers have rides due to their love of the sport.  Yet, are they not also considered a "business venture" and a way to make money?  I am just asking - curious as to why there is such vehemence about "the complaint".  (Did not catch the 'original' complaint - I will have to assume it was not 'constructive criticism'.)