[RC] Cooley Ranch Ride & faith in horse people - Part 3 of 3 - sandy . l . holder

We had to leave before the final ones finished (including my buddy) to figure out how to get our boys home.  That was disappointing as Ruth and Marci had assured us that they were springing for a really good dinner (heard it was fabulous).  After calling all the potential horse trailer rental places and finding out that they wouldn't let us rent (I have a supped up Suburban but its only a 1/2 ton - even though it has great springs, electric brakes, chip, large radiator - ooops, back to the story), we found a gal in Cotati that hires out/hauls horses and didn't charge us too much (what she could/should have) to get them home.  I guess Karen understood that having to replace an axle is a bit expensive and was quite .  She brought our boys all the way to Gilroy, her and her husband THAT NIGHT (arriving about 9:00 p.m.).  Amazing, simply amazing. . . so many things could have turned out far worse and yet we were back home, safe and sound (yeah, we even hauled the trailer home on 3 wheels after having all the remaining bearings greased, packed and brakes checked).  But for the grace of God and a lot of wonderful people, it could have been a whole lot worse.

My brain stopped functioning about 11:30 p.m. and I finally called it a night.  Dick said something to me about 'functioning' and it literally went right over my head (until the next day!!).  Looking back I can only say that when the going got tough, wonderful people stepped up and helped us out . .  feed us (thanks again Marci and the other volunteer for that sandwich) and made us feel welcome (Monte, Karen and the car wash guy).  My faith, not that it had left me mind you, was really restored!!!~~~

Lessons learned?  Semi annual check on the brakes and bearings (they were done a year ago), AND, equally as important, be willing to always help out those in need as you may never know when "it" is going to strike you. . . oh, and yes, I could definitely take some charm school lessons from DICK!~!

Y'all take care now, see you on the trails or on Ridecamp. . .

~Sandy, Tally and the rest of the growing brood!!