[RC] Evaluation Forms - Michael Maul

Comments in **** Below

I got my notification recently about this from Mike Maul and my first reaction was "uh-oh". I haven't gotten a chance to look at the form yet, so I can't comment on specifics.

***** The form is a duplicate of the one sent out for at least 10 years by AERC. It's at

http://www.aerc.org/RideEval.asp

I don't like that it's anonymous. If a rider feels compelled to lodge a complaint, I think they should also be required to sign it. If for no other reason than people tend to be more kind when their name goes on something.

**** The paper one has always been anonymous. When the ride manager put them in the ride packets - unless you specifically added your name in a comment field - there was no place for the name. This was decided by the BoD over a decade ago and I don't know the reasoning. There are some ride managers where if you turn in a negative comment on the form and they can identify you - it generates some future negative feelings. Most RM take the comments constructively. ***************

Why did AERC feel that we needed something like this? If I have something to say to an RM or to a group that puts on a ride, I'm a direct enough person that I'll say it, positive or negative, I don't need to hide behind a comment form!

**** Not everyone is that direct. Some others are too tired after a ride to fill out a form or do anything other than take care of themselves and their horses. An online form gives them a chance to have a few days between the actual experience and filling it out that can temper comments that might be made too hastily right after a ride. AERC apparently has long felt that getting feedback from rider to ride manager is important and provided a way to do this.

I think it's important too. If more than one rider comes back with the same comment - the ride manager needs to consider whether changes are needed. In my case - one ride had an early vet check at perhaps 15 miles. The next vet check was 18 miles later. There was no water on the second loop and the RM was aware of this. We were not aware of it until the first vet check. My horse seldom drinks before 18 miles. This meant we were 33 miles w/o water. While I told the RM about this - others may want a form. *********

BUT, I also don't think it's good enough to simply point out faults -- I think it's important to be part of the solution. And I think it's important to be supportive of distance riding sports and to not undermine ride management. They need to be given the benefit of the doubt,
not criticized!

***** One of the fields in the form is

"What could you do to help this be a better ride"

Another is

"What is good about this ride that you would like to see continue?"

Mike

If you treat an Arab like a Thoroughbred, it will behave like a Quarter
horse. ~ Libby Llop