Re: [RC] Ca Breeders - Bette Lamore

Hi Bonnie
Huck's trot that you saw was in the show ring and that is what he was asked to do by his rider because that is what they want in English Pleasure classes-- a gait isn't bad or good on it's own unless you put it in context. One wouldn't do ballet moves down the sidewalk either, yet I enjoy going to the ballet and seeing those "contortionist" and very unnatural moves.
To each his own, I say.
(and I agree--- wouldn't want my kidneys bounced around by doing that trot on trail for very long-- but then we don't know if Huck is capable of a longer trot-- it is just that he was asked for that high steppin' trot with a lot of break at the knee in that forum)
It should be noted that many of his offspring went on to become great race winners-- mostly overseas as they were purchased from the track as they were seen in training long before they raced here--- that is what I was told by Barbara Schuler who is part of Eques International and brokered race horses. She thought Huck would someday be known as one of the great race sires--- so you can't always judge a book from its cover :-)
Bette

MtnRondi@xxxxxxx wrote:

Reference was made to Huckleberry Bey's trot. I saw him come into the arena at Santa Barbara at high speed. Haha... he looked like a sewing machine. He wasn't really going anywhere but those legs sure were working fast. Our good endurance horses trot better than he did. Please, don't give me a show ring trot because I want to go forward, not up and down.
Bonnie
So. Calif.

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

This weekend, many of you are at rides...25's, 50's or 100's. You are the
lucky ones. I know you did whatever you had to do to get to 'em. I know
that each of you go to 'em with different so-called "goals" in mind...but I
also know that each of you cares for your horse and realize that "carrying
you" is the least of what he/she does for you. LIFTING YOU is the true
effect. ~ Ryder