Re: [RC] [RC] breed destruction - JL Thompson

Not that I have much to add to the breeding topic, but the post below reminded
me of the time last year that I took my Arabian gelding to a mounted police
sensory clinic.

He was one of the best horses there.  He handled every scary obstacle (mylar
balloons, tarps, teeter-totters, etc) like a champ - he was calm and sensible,
with no fear at all.  He was amongst Quarter Horses, other Arabs, some gaited
breeds, etc.  There were several arabs and half-arabs there and all did pretty
well except one.  And there were PLENTY of other breeds that were not handling
the scary stuff well at all.

I kept getting the same question "Is he really a purebred Arab?"  They couldn't
believe that he wasn't freaking out at the obstacles and acting crazy.   I was
suprised several months later also, when I was talking to somebody I had just
met, and the clinic got brought up in the conversation, and they said "oh,
you're the one with that bay Arab that did so well?  I heard about that!"
People actually thought it was worthy of conversation outside of the clinic!
Unbelievable.

People just don't give our breed credit where credit is due, except for
distance riding.   When they do well at anything, it's always "the exception to
the rule."  You get the "yabbuts"...."yabbut, MOST arabs can't do that, yours
is special!"  Grrr....

My guy is old Egyptian and Crabbet breeding, btw.

Jennifer