[RC] [RC] breed destruction - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can't believe I'm managing to sit out this thread so well,
when it's a subject so important to me.  But, Heidi & Lif have
pretty much said all I could have said.

And Dot is right to bring up the destruction of the quarter horse.
They may not be "my" breed, but a good quarter horse is a
fantastic critter and not remotely like what the QH has been
turned into by either the halter folks or the "pleasure" folks.

In fact, many breeds are being butchered by their show systems.
It's just that those of us with the best breed in the world <g>
are pretty darn passionate about what's being done to a breed
that's been around for centuries with very little change -- why
change if it's done right? -- and now hardly resembles those
war-horse ancestors.  A breed that is unashamedly bashed right
to our faces day after day.  For some reason people don't even
think it might be rude to say "Ay-rabs are crazy dangerous" to
you when you just mention that's what you own. Or if you're seen
riding one of those "crazy" beasts calmly down the trail... well,
your horse must be "special" and they'll still tell you point-
blank that "Ay-rabs are stupid" (or whatever their favorite
adjective might be) no matter how it's behaving and showing them
otherwise.  And heaven forbid a green Arab behaves like a green
horse in public -- I'm always grateful that my greenies do their
best to keep embarassment to a minimum (more breeding = less
training necessary).

Oh, I wasn't even going to go there and now I've gone and gotten
up on the soap box.  My appologies.  I'm stepping down now and
will let Heidi & Lif and others say what I'm feeling.

The one that won the biggest money class spooked at a flag and
took out the judges stand.  And got rewarded for having "brio"
by winning the class. Poor thing was scared to death.

Boy, sounds just like an Arab show. :(

He's 14.1 hands, weighs in about 850#'s trim and fit, and has a
7 3/4 inch cannon bone.

Hey, that's the Arab mare I've been riding. :)

 (I always give them my number and tell them to come ride with
me...and send them to the paso breeders I know that have
sensible, well bred horses).

Where are you located?  I know someone looking for a sound, sane
Paso for trail riding and maybe LDs (PP, do you have a PP or PF?).

~Nicole

And remember, an arab's fourth gait is the spook!
~  Jeanie Miller