Re: [RC] question - heidi

  This filly is turned out every other day in a 10 acre pasture and is
worked
almost every day for her normal training. She is not a show horse so she
is  not being pushed to perform. Her training period is usually about 30
min or so,
 I have never has a horse tie up before and I am very concerned and
kinda
lost as to the cause.
Any thoughts?

Some thoughts, and some questions...

First, what is she fed?  Is she receiving any grain?

Since she is only turned out every other day, is she fed the same every
day?  This could be a big issue, particularly if she is getting any
concentrates (grain, etc.).  Even if she not on much grain, the
every-other-day turnout could be an issue.  Any way she can go out EVERY
day, so that she moves around?

Also, I'd suggest checking her whole blood selenium level--deficiency can
contribute to tying up.

I'd suggest that you have bloodwork done to see how badly she has tied
up--that will give you a better idea how to handle her for the short term.
And while that blood is being drawn, it is easy enough to draw an extra
tube to send off for the selenium assay.

Meanwhile, back off on grain (none, preferably), try to stick to pasture
and/or grass hays, and try to make her turnout more regular.

Heidi

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith