[RC] re: [RC] question - RockinVR - A. Perez

My 2 cents worth:

 I wouldn't say for sure what your horse experienced was a
tie-up, could just be sore from lunging.  Lunging and
round-penning in a tight circles can be hard on young,
uncoordinated horses, and should be done in small doses.

 In your position, I'd lunge at the walk and trot ONLY for a
couple of weeks, lunging in as large a circle as possible, and
keeping trotting sessions very short ( 2 - 3 circles at most at
a time, totally no more than 1o or 15 minutes trotting per
lunging session total).  I'd alo try working on the lunge every
other day.  On alternate days try ground-driving or some other
form of tarining, just not lots of circling.  After 2 -3 weeks
of this, gradually intrude cantering again, but only 2-3 circles
in each direction.  If transistions are what is being taught,
there is no need to keep her cantering more than that.

 I am not crazy about using lunging as a form of exercise.  It
is hard on the legs to do enough to be effective excercise.  If
lunging is being used for training, keep it short, and focus on
the training objective (such as transitions or responding to
vocal cues), try to accomplish these at as slow a speed and with
as few reps as possible.  And look for other methods to achieve
the desired result: ponying, ground-driving, etc... anything
'non-circular'.

 Lastly, if there is any possible way to give her daily
turn-out, do so.  The more the better.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length of
the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden.
~  Maryanne Stroud Gabani