[RC] Ride Management(was Norco) - Nancy Mitts

Monte's old mare Candy was one who would NOT drink nasty old sponged in water. No, it didn't have to be "clean", just not sponged in. (Ever seen the oil slick when some people sponge off all that fly spray & gunk?) So, yes, if ride management has gone through the trouble of providing 2 water sources, it isn't asking too much for riders to be courteous enough to respect that. You're doing it for OTHER RIDERS, not just serving a management whim!
As someone else has mentioned, it's all in the expectations, and that's where the foul-ups occur.
Yes, I am a ride manager. I'm also a rider. Riders also spend time and money preparing for and getting to the event, and deserve to know what to expect. I LIKE getting feedback about my ride. I like getting a pat on the back and hearing I did great, but if there was a problem I want the chance to improve for the next year. I'd feel like a dolt repeating the same mistakes every year just because no one let me know. No excuse for rudeness and abuse on anybody's part, though, and it can be tough to blow it off when you're exhausted at the end of managing a ride. That's why I think the on-line forms should help, if they're off base just ignore them. If there is merit to the suggestions, why not give it a try? I guess riders could just quietly vote with their feet and not go back. If people show up, you can guess you're doing something right.
On another note.....who forces riders to go fast? If you like the ride and not the race, just do it wherever you are.
Nancy Mitts
Central Region

Riders, you need to take a CHILL PILL. WHO CARES if someone sponged out of
the wrong trough? The horse sure doesn't. He's not going to get some sort of
disease from someone's sponge! Two different troughs?? Be glad you have water
at all!
All you need is a good vet, a well marked trail of the correct length, and
horse water at vet checks. PERIOD. Anything else is just icing on the cake.
Amen to that. The sponging only adds salt and electrolytes and my horses
sure don't care.........A well marked trail and no surprises...that's what you
need........mb

At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length of
the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden. ~ Maryanne Stroud Gabani