Re: Re: [RC] re: [RC] Changing Bit Question - Becky Rohwer - heidi

Good point, though I've ridden trails with a standing
martingale.  They have to be cranked down pretty tightly to
cause the sort of problems you describe (I am assuming fairly
tale trails, nothing too technical).  I should have mentioned
not to have it too short, and that it usually only needs to be
sued for a short while.

Actually, no, it need not be very tight to cause a problem if a horse
trips or in any way has to struggle to remain upright.  One can accomplish
everything one needs to with a head tosser with running martingale,
without compromising safety to that degree.

The main safety issues with running martingales have to do with simply
more tack to catch and tangle on things--have seen wrecks happen with
these, too, and for that reason I don't like to use them any more than
necessary.  But compared to the risks of a standing martingale (aka
tiedown) the running martingales are a breeze.

Heidi

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards