Re: [RC] re: [RC] Changing Bit Question - Becky Rohwer - heidi

  Get her teeth checked by an equine dentist or a vet
experienced in teeth-floating.  she may have a tooth problem
that is cuaseing the head-flipping.

  You might also ask a trainer, instructor or some other
knowlegable person to observe you rdining her, to see if they
can notice what is making her toss her head: could be something
in how you are riding her.

Both good suggestions.

  If you want to try a martingale, a standing martingale would
not require a change of bits, as it attaches to the nose-band
(assuming your bridle has one) and does not effect the bit.

Please, please, please, no standing martingales on horses out on the
trail...   If a horse trips or steps in a hole or has a bank give way or
any such thing and needs the freedom of his head in order to twist around
and regain his balance, having his head anchored hard and fast to his
girth in the form of a standing martingale can mean the difference between
a simple misstep and a major crash.  Have known of multiple horses that
have gone tail over teakettle off of mountainsides, etc. because of being
restricted by a standing martingale....  :-(

I'm not a martingale fan in general, but at least with a running
martingale, properly adjusted, you can keep from interfering with his
normal movement--and in the event of the makings of a wreck, you CAN give
him the freedom of his head that he needs!

Heidi

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm