Re: [RC] Ca Breeders - Bette Lamore

Hi Kathy
My first 2 Arabians of my very own were purchased from Sheila and we still keep in touch. The third Arabian I bought was a young stallion form her and I later returned him as he did hot have the traits I was looking for once he grew up. She does breed quality horses who did very well in English (Huckleberry Bey line) and racing (Rampart (sp?) line and Desperado line) and Western-- through DesperadoV. I have lost track of her lines since Huck's death-- it was a real loss to the breed for English pleasure--- boy that guy could trot!!!
I still have the gelding we got from her and he won Champion Country English Pleasure several years back against some of the top horses (and one of them hers :-) )
Like with any breeding program you have to research lines and use. There is a reason she has been named top breeder in CA for many years-- she has the money to show and so do her clients and they win- win- win! She is an incredible horsewoman herself and memorizes pedigrees and conformation-- it is amazing.
Bette

GarnerT wrote:

I am not at all conversant with the breeding situation in California for
Arabs.  My 2 Arabs were purchased because I could afford them.  I did try to
look for conformation for endurance, but I am by no means a high roller.
Plus my background is in Quarter Horses.  I did luck out with my horse, Taz.
His breeding goes back to Bezetal & Bezibin (sp), but I purchased him before
I received his papers!

However, a friend & I attended Varian farms Open House in March, & I must
say I was extremely impressed with their horses.  They breed for usefulness.
Their horses are correct in their conformation, have size, & all but 1 horse
came to the front of the stalls to be petted & loved on by about 200 people
(even the stallions).

I think that when you discuss breeding in California, you need to look at
the various breeders & look at what they breed for.  These were gorgeous
horses, useful horses, calm & gentle.  If I'd had an extra 6K in my pocket I
would have bought a 2 year old gelding on the spot!

One thing Sheila Varian made a point of was the fact that the mare's line is
as important or more important as the stallion's line.  Excellent point.
Her breeding program considers the mare's breeding as much as her stallions.

Do any of you ride campers have Varian horses? If so, how do you like them?

Kathy Garner

============================================================ The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing for a wet, tired female Endurance Rider! A good crew person has patience, a sense of humor, and knows that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all! ~ Jim Holland

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want. ~ Homer Safferwiffle