[RC] Great American Horse Race of 1976 and wisdom - Karla Watson

I had the pleasure to ride with Hope Lundquist, one of the early endurance riders from the 70s at the Sunriver Ride this weekend. This grand dam of endurance is a mere 79 years old and is still riding and enjoying this sport. She told of her 10 tevis wins and her Great American Horse Race of the 70s across America. What great tales she had and what a super experience to listen to the wisdom of someone who used to ride 100 milers way back when you rode in blue jeans all day. Those days endurance riders were really tough! We rode on Saturday and although it was hot, dusty, her body obviously hurting, she never complained once. I hope I am able to get on my horse at that age and can still enjoy going down the trail as much as this wonderfully nice lady did this weekend. She is still tough as nails.

By the way, if you haven't read "The Great American Race of 1976" I highly recommend it. They rode 3000 miles across America.

(Hope: Unfortunately I couldn't find my copy when I got home to look up your chapter and photos...so next time we ride, I want to look at your copy ;-)
Your friend, Karla Watson)