[RC] re: the world's worst selenium levels - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Frances gumbootballet@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, Heidi, for your quick response to my inquiry about abysmal selenuim
levels (.054) in my QH CTR and endurance mare. On your advice I have had
another blood sample taken and am waiting for the lab report. This mare has
always had a bottle brush tail and skin that is very easily bruised. In
retrospect I am wondering if that may be because of this deficiency. It will be
interesting to see if there is some improvement in her tail growth when we get
the selenium levels back in line. I talked to my vet about injectable selenium
and he mentioned that there are often abcesses associated with the shots. Can
you give anti-biotics at the same time to prevent that? Also, how long does it
take to see any significant improvement after selenium is injected? We have the
first 50 mile ride of the season coming up in 2 weeks and I'm wondering how to
deal with that when I won't have the lab report until just before the ride.
Thanks for your time, Heidi. ps- I'm one of the "friendly Canadians" that
helped to run Helldiver last year. -Frances.

your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards