Re: [RC] Breed destruction - heidi

I've been biting my tongue to stay out of this thread but can't stand it
any longer.
So many are bashing the Arab show breeders for trashing the useful
Arabs, and then turn around and fail to see the same thing in QHs, and
other breeds.
The ranch QH that can go all day, as many days as needed,  is becoming a
thing of the past.  The QH that can walk  fast,  and actually, really,
trot, is hard to find.
They have been bred for low head carriage (it's easier to breed "'head
down" than train it) till they have no self carriage, always on the
front end. Even the fairly good ones are often unsound in front by the
time they are 6. The QH show breeders have been working longer to trash
a fine breed than the Arab folks, and they've about got it done.
QHs used be one of the most useful, versatile breeds in the country,
hard to find one now.
I like and enjoy the Arabs I know and ride, but I also have a tremendous
respect and affection for the good QHs I have had.

Dot, as usual, you're right on the mark.  The QH has suffered as much (if
not more) than the Arab from the show ring fads and the breeding without
utility in mind.  Horses like your old Scotch and Soda horse could do
pretty much anything that had to be done, and do it pleasantly and well.
There are still a few holdouts breeding QHs like that, just as there are
those who still breed traditional using Arabs.  And a good using horse of
any breed is a pleasure, just as it is sad in any breed to see the
perversions brought about to please the extremes of the show ring.

One last word, having worked with quite few of both, I think QHs are
more forgiving of rider./handler errors.
In other words, perhaps more suited for beginning riders.    Many Arabs
don't suffer fools gladly,  many QHs will put up with a lot of s**t and
still do a good job.

You may be right that Arabs are less prone to suffer fools, although I've
seen many that suffer children and beginners quite happily.  I think you
have a point that QHs will often tolerate more unjust punishment, but I've
sure seen Arabs put up with a lot of other stuff when they can clearly
ascertain that the rider isn't doing it to them on purpose.  Shameful
things like my broken saddle tree come to mind.  I've also never given a
second thought to packing our Arabs (everything from deer on our stallions
to trail maintenance equipment on our various broodmares--picked by who
happens to not have a foal at side when the need arises).  One of my
favorite visuals is of my husband Paul on "Junior" carrying a chainsaw on
the pommel of his English saddle, and then starting it up while mounted
and sawing off an overhead limb.

These sorts of dispositions were the norm and were sought after in
virtually every saddle breed in earlier days--it was certainly prized in
the Arabian, and was bred in the QHs as well.  There are still Arabs
around with that traditional sort of mindset--it is just hard to find them
sometimes among the more modern versions.  <sigh>

Heidi

Every horse can be taught to walk faster than you think.  It is one of the
most important qualities of a good riding horse.  Some have it naturally,
others need to learn. On the other hand, if you are riding a tired horse,
an easy jog is more efficient, covers more groumnd with less effort.  (it's
the rebound effect of the two beat trot)
~  Dot Wiggins