Re: [RC] Old Dominion - The Ride as told by Super (Part 7) - McCoy's Ford - Stagg_Newman

McCoy's Ford at nite!  Had never crossed the Sheandoah River at nite before
but thanks to the extra 5 miles or so we did leaving V1, Charlie and I
headed into the river in darkness.  They had the 1/4 mile crossing marked
with glow sticks in milk bottles.  Really cool looking!!!

We trotted up the climb to Limeton and on  to Fox Hollow, where the trail was
now really well churned up as those 50 and 75 horses had gone through twice.
Charlie told me he had lost a shoe in the mud.  As soon as we got to the gravel
road Sue figured that out.  Actually she had asked Stagg if he saw anything
earlier but Stagg did not figure it out in the dark  (JMO but he's frequently in the dark).

Sue put an easy boot on Charlie.  Stagg trotted Charlie for Sue and then vice versa.
They decided Charlie was OK.  Charlie agreed.  We did an easy trot into Liberty
Hall, the last vet check and of course went straight in.

As the vet was checking me I looked up and saw 4 of my buddies from earlier
in the ride had just come 4 minutes after us.  Stagg and Sue did not look pleased.