Re: [RC] Old Dominion - The Ride as told by Super (Part 6) - Sherman's Gap - Stagg_Newman

Sherman's Gap.  Ford Passage Creek and start climbing on nice dirt trail
with occasional rocks.  And then more rocks.   And more rocks.  And
then really steep with more rocks.  Stagg took me to Sherman's Gap
for training two weeks before my first OD in '99.  I told him if he made me
do it again he was going to have to scramble over the rocks on foot
on the last steep section.  And I have made Stagg do that at each of
the OD's I have done.  Lets him know what I do for him.  Charlie was
good enough to lead this stretch as I had done most of the leading.
Sue calls Charlie a tractor and he just  trudges along.  Then along
the ridge and down the other side.  The descent has gotten tougher.
I used to dance down beside Stagg on foot.  But with mud from the
rain and about a 100 horses from the 50 and 75, it was a mess.
So we trudged down.

When we finally got to the open road I was ready to roll.  So we
cruised into McCoy's Ford vet check with Charlie reminding me occasionally
to not go too fast.  We went straight into the check.  20 minute holds do
not give much time for serious chowing down but I did find some nice
alfalfa cubes that some horse had left and hoovered them.