Re: [RC] public image of the Arabian horse - Barbara McCrary

I have my gelding trained to position himself at a mounting block and wait until I mount and am seated.  He already stood for mounting when I bought him, but I trained him to walk around the mounting block and stand just so to allow me to mount.  He doesn't leave until I ask him to.  The horse you mention was either short on training or short on brains.  Actually, I have another Arab who is not as good about mounting, but then he was a hysterical nut case when he was in endurance.  I love this new horse for his manners.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] public image of the Arabian horse

It's good to hear this mentality, because, I am currently looking at arabs for endurance and breeding my appy to a half arab stud. Saddly, I have had few good rides on an arab, many of them live up to the predjudices against them, they are hot, disobedient, and even malicious. (I am just recovering from a concussion I recieved from one who took off as I was dismounting, with the owner holding the reins, I really had no chance!) But the bad rides have always been ay-rabs people are selling, all the good ones are to good too pass on it seems, atleast that's my theory!

Laura
"Not all who wander are lost." (jrr tolkien)