Re: [RC] Letters to the World -- showing - Lif Strand

At 03:22 PM 6/18/2004, KYielding@xxxxxxx wrote:
Heide Smith said in part...

"...You have not seen the numbers of people who come into contact with Arabians because some friend who is a ride manager twisted their arm into coming to help at a ride, or the people who meet endurance riders out on the trail conditioning and are awed and amazed that these horses are calm, tractable, and friendly."

There is a lot of truth to that. In 1999 I was the only one on this 2 mile long road that was out conditioning. Now there are five of us and two more are watching and might be interested. None of us are breeders, we just ride and look forward to being ready to do 50s. (Doing a few 25s now when we can.)

And that reminds me - when Paul and I joined a club that was then part of ETI around 1978, we actually got in arguments about the fact that Paul and I wanted to trot on the trail. It was disruptive! It was too dangerous!

After a few years, an awful lot of people in the club were riding Arabs, part-Arabs and other horses that were more suited for distance than for the arena, and there was a lot of trotting going on and <gasp> occasionally some cantering! They were going on overnights and bragging about how many hours/miles in the saddle they were putting in.

Eventually they got involved with Barbara's Swanton Pacific... managing the vet checks (are they still doing that, Barbara?) which was too bad, because it meant they couldn't crew for me!

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA

I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop