[RC] Old Dominion 100 ride story /slightly long - Mary Maynard

Well our ride started when we left the pan handle of Flordia heading towards Virgina. Just as I hit the Atlanta GA area, about 7 hours into the trip, I looked out my window to see smoke coming from my trailer tires. Oh of course I need to mention that I do grease my tire bearing every 6 months, but I had driven from Aburn area of Ca with three horses: a trip of 3,000 miles to our new home in Flordia. About a month later I drove back to Oklahoma to do a ride, then back to Fl then out to Agusta Ga to do a ride then back home and then started the trip to Virgina with out regreasing my hubs on the trailer.
Not a good idea :-)
Any way I limped off the busy freeway and found a food store as I was hungry.There I found two horse trailers in the parking lot. So I had one group taking off the tire and shaking their heads and another lady calling for help with new bearings and a place for me to over night. Well I had GREAT luck; the Chateu Elan is a olympic stable right across the street from my break down so we stabled there. And Cleon Atkins the x prez of the South East has a mobile trailer repair right near my break down. Cleon was there early the next morning and fixed that tire and greased all my others.What a great person. I really feel lucky I met him. Thank you Cleon!! Off to Virgina I drove ( took two more days ). Upon arrival I set up camp near other Flordia riders doing the 50 and a very nice family from South Carolina.
It rained and rained and was a muddy mess. I was slightly depressed about the possibility of doing a 100 in the rain, but was happy for the cool temps it brought.
My mare was fit and more then ready for this ride, I felt pretty sure if luck was with us we would complete. The trail is the most lovely trail I have EVER ridden. Much prettier then Tevis I think and that doesn't mean Tevis is not pretty, it is, this is just much more lush. I rode with two great ladies Kathryn Downs and her fantastic mount moon a 7 yr old wonder. And Joanie ( can not remember her last name ) She too has a great horse and we rode well together.
In my humble opinion I think Tevis is a more challenging ride; the terrain is more difficult and the elavations are much higher you have a lot more horses and riders to deal with and lots of awful dust. BUT that being said; OD is not an easy ride and IF there had been the humidity it would be FAR more challenging.
My favorite part is the section they call Shermans gap, it reminded me of Calif and Nevada, ie lots of good rock and some nice good climbs up hills. My next favorite part was the dark when all the fire flys were out..That is a new experience for me coming from CA. Fire flys are simply magical.
We agreed to tie for third place as we rode into the 2nd to last vet check. But bad luck got to Joanie; her horse was off and she was pulled. It broke my heart. I felt so bad for her and her lovely horse. Kathryn and I finished the ride on two very stong and eager horses. We were less then 5 mins behind Sue and Stagg. Even though we wanted to tie they would not allow this and I guess my mare was in front of hers in the picture. So I got 3rd place. Kathryn desevedly won the old dominion award the following day. I have a shinny belt buckle with top ten on it! And I have one fantastic mare who is now home resting up for more fun at some later undetermined date.I want to thank the mangement and volunteers for a great ride. I also want to thank Joanie and Kathryn for making my 1st OD so enjoyable. I will hold it in my heart for all times.
Happy Trails to all of you
Mary Anne Maynard and
MP Zafina ( Sophie )