Subject: Re: [RC] Tailing rubbing - sherman

 **Sigh.....you haven't seen our "rubber horse".....BLM mustang who can =
turn her self inside out to bite and chew on her own tail.  She is =
giving me fits over that tail; rubbing it....would have a gorgeous tail. =
 I am trying everything; right now washing weekly with a good dandruff =
shampoo seems to help the most.  She gets just awful flakey skin on the =
very end of the dock.  This mare also produces the gunkiest udder I have =
ever seen.....after talking to Heidi and Susan G. and my vets.....what =
seems to keep the best handle on that is washing udder weekly with a mix =
of Novalsen scrub and Dawn dishwashing liquid.  Otherwise she gets the =
more incredible black chunks between the teats...also around her vulva.  =
This stuff also makes her itchy.  But hey, any other remedies and =
opinions also welcomed.

My mustang rubbed off about two-thirds of her beautiful full length thick black tail last spring. I finally got her to stop by scrubbing with a gentle cleanser, and, after checking to make sure it didn't have any open sores, saturating the dock daily with vinegar for about a week. No more rubbing! She also had a very gunky udder. I used warm water with a splash of tea tree oil for that.
Good luck,
Kathy