[RC] QUESTION RE LONG DISTANCE SPEED OF HORSES - rides2far

For short distances I think a horse is faster. As the distances get
longer, I expect that humans approach the speed of horses, and now I
think at very long distances, humans are faster, but I'm trying to
figure out where the crossover occurs.

What about the ultra-marathons held at Tevis and Vermont? Are the horses
& runners anywhere near each other at the end of *really* long distance?
I've seen video of a few of those races and lots of the runners would
never get out of a vet check as "fit to continue".  Also, to *really*
make if an equal comparison you'd also have to make the runner carry an
equal percentage of his body weight that the horse is carrying.

Angie
Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"  :)
~  Kat Swigart