Re: [RC] Finally back at it, but ready to do 50's? - Kristi Schaaf

competitive on 100s that I NEVER heard better than
what I'd call B guts sounds on.  Etc., etc.   Know
what is normal for YOUR horse, look at the overall
picture, and go from there.  Did he EDPP fine?

Thanks much for the feedback, you guys. I do feel I
know this horse really well (probably 5,000+ total
miles on him) and he seemed fine to me. In fact,
compared to some of the really weary looking 50 milers
that I saw, my guy literally had a walk in the woods.
EDPP - his appetite was as big as always (if he ever
refuses to eat I'll be declaring it an emergency and
calling a vet), his drinking was normal for him (won't
drink till about mile 15, sigh...and 'sips' water as
he eats at breaks; he's definitely not a bucket
drainer type horse). His CRI was 48/48 at the 15 mile
point. After 4 hours of eating/dozing after the 30, he
carried my 7 yoa niece on a 5 mile ride with ease. So
I don't think I stressed him much at all, which was my
goal (I tried to use max time), and that's why the B's
had me scratching my head about what they REALLY mean.
Plus, I swear one vet did his pre ride scores, and a
different vet did the post ride scores, so that's a
factor too, right? Hubby and I joked about his
attitude score. He was a B at check in and a B- post
ride; he definitely will never be a BC contender! (but
that's ok with me, because in my experience to finish
really is to win - gotta love those $50 completion
t-shirts..he he he) Kristi