Re: [RC] Horse canters when asked to Trot - GoTory

This sure got MY attention.... My 6 yr old mare did this last weekend,
suddenly, after a 1 mile walk/warm-up and 1 mile of easy trotting... suddenly
she
took two canter strides and then was markedly, profoundly lame on the left hind
with a very shortened stride right front.  Took us an hour to hand walk to the
trailer... I felt like the left hip muscles were hard as a rock and spasming.
HR was 42, urine was light yellow.  She ate and drank well while we hung out
at the trailer, and I gave her some Bute before the short ride home.  Three
days off, massage, seemed sound, light ground work in the round pen and after 5
minutes, a repeat of going into a canter for two strides and again profoundly
lame.

I have the vet coming this week, but I really could use some help here in
identifying the problem.  This is the same mare who had the stifle locking
problem last year, which has not recurred, and was a DIFFERENT lameness .
We've
been conditioning for the last few months, after other issues, and have been
riding up to 16 miles with some good trotting and hill work, with no problems.
So
this came as a real shock- and I'm getting very discouraged.  The only thing
I did differently on this last ride was to take her out of the Bitless Bridle
and back into a Kimberwicke on the snaffle slot, as our plan was to work on
trail separation anxiety issues and a slower, steady working trot.

We were 3 weeks into the last shoeing.  No saddle/pad changes.  Labs last
done about 6 wks ago were all normal with a Se level of about 215.

I welcome any information, ideas, suggestions.    nikki, in northern CA,
wondering if we'll make it to ANY rides this year...........
I can tell you after sleeping in a tent, then in my truck, then in the back
of a trailer, then in a gneck trailer w/no LQ, and now in the new-to-me LQ
one, you don't sleep any better the night before in nicer digs - you're
just more comfortable while you're lying there obsessing :)
~  Tina Hicks