Re: [RC] [RC] UCSC Banana Slugs - Truman Prevatt

I think the banana slug as a college mascot is so cool - especially in the face of what is happening to amateur athletics in this country today. The olympics are a joke - they are all professionals. In many sports it has more to do with who has the best chemist making designer performance enhancing drugs that can't be detected in test than skill, work and ability.

In the '20's the University of Chicago was one of the co-founders of the Big Ten Conference. Not too many years later the University of Chicago pulled out of the Big 10 because of what was happening in college athletics even then. The banana slug is yet another slap in the face of the perversion of the student athlete that you see in big time division one athletic programs.

The banana slug also be seen as a stand against the creeping professionalism in all recreational athletic pursuits at all levels including the professionalism in endurance riding being brought on by the impact of the FEI. We who believe in the true meaning of amateur athletics and the philosophy of the AERC in the care of our equine partner should order and proudly wear the yellow slug.

Truman

PS: Now it is endurance related ;-)!

Ridecamp Guest wrote:
Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Truman Prevatt wrote:

I don't remember the banana slug shirt - but I guess if you
weren't looking for it you might not know what it was.

Probably should rent the video and watch it again.

Boy, we're verging far from endurance, but I have to agree with
Cathy, "Pulp Fiction" is a masterpiece (and Quentin Tarantino has
never made it's equal, IMO, the rest of his stuff is too violent
[not that "Pulp Fiction" is not violent, it is very violent &
disturbing, but the plot supports it]).

I guess if one didn't know what that goofy looking shirt was you
wouldn't notice it, but having friends who went to UCSC I
couldn't miss it.  :)

Truman, rent it.  I would send you my old VHS of it (long ago
replaced by DVD), but I think I sold it on eBay. ;)

I'm trying really hard to find a way to hook this into endurance
or at least horses...  Ummm... I'm drawing a blank...  Oh, I got it: a friend almost sold her house & horse property to Ving Rhames
(who is in the movie)...

~Nicole

Just because someone tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~  Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance

--
"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity

"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity.

  For this reason, he has integrity. The person of inferior integrity

  never loses sight of his integrity.  For this reason, he lacks integrity."