Re: [RC] Breeding "No-Names"/Colt breeding age - Chris Paus

I was just at the vet clinic the other day having my
stallion's semen collected for an AI breeding. As we
were there, the vet got a call such as this. He
recommended waiting for the same reason Lif
mentions... it takes them awhile to reach full semen
potential.

I'd add another reason. It takes a strong back and
legs for a stallion to do his job. A 2YO, no matter
how big he is, still is a baby development wise. He
has a lot of growing to do. His muscles, ligaments,
tendons and bones still are immature. You could risk
permanent injury asking a boy to do a man's job.

That said, I haven't yet had a colt that I've wanted
to keep a stud. They get gelded in their first year
becuase, immature or not, pasture accidents do happen!

chris

---

Now, I'd like to ask another question.  In your
collective opinion, what
is the best age to breed a colt / stallion?  I lean
towards 6 years old,
but I know that the breeding yards like to get
those boys busy from as
young as 2.  Any thoughts?

If someone is paying for a breeding to a two year
old, I hope there's a
live foal guarantee, because not all two year olds
have viable sperm.  I
wouldn't breed a stud till he was older.  Maybe a
limited breeding - one
mare, maybe two - at four.  But I've been Arabians
(Crabbet/Polish), and
they seem to get their full hormonal package later
than other breeds.  I
certainly wouldn't breed a stud very much till I
knew what he could
actually do.  Beauty is only skin deep, after all!

That said, I do leave my colts over a year or 18
months with an experienced
older mare or two that I wouldn't mind getting a
foal or foals out
of.  Living with mares teaches a stud good manners
right from day one.  My
6 year old stallion lives with a 31 year old mare.
He wouldn't dream of
saying boo to her unless she invited him to.  She
never does!  He's learned!

________________________________
    Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
            Quemado NM USA

If you treat an Arab like a Thoroughbred, it will
behave like a Quarter
horse.
~  Libby Llop

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
There is something really special about getting to ride all day, and all
night on your horse. I know that a lot of people like to get finished, and
get it over with. Yes, it is a lot of work. But, realize that each ride,
especially a 100 is a really special gift and savor it for all it is worth.
~  Karen Chaton