Re: [RC] Breeding "No-Names"/Colt breeding age - Lif Strand

At 07:49 AM 6/11/2004, Kristene Smuts wrote:
Now, I'd like to ask another question. In your collective opinion, what is the best age to breed a colt / stallion? I lean towards 6 years old, but I know that the breeding yards like to get those boys busy from as young as 2. Any thoughts?

If someone is paying for a breeding to a two year old, I hope there's a live foal guarantee, because not all two year olds have viable sperm. I wouldn't breed a stud till he was older. Maybe a limited breeding - one mare, maybe two - at four. But I've been Arabians (Crabbet/Polish), and they seem to get their full hormonal package later than other breeds. I certainly wouldn't breed a stud very much till I knew what he could actually do. Beauty is only skin deep, after all!

That said, I do leave my colts over a year or 18 months with an experienced older mare or two that I wouldn't mind getting a foal or foals out of. Living with mares teaches a stud good manners right from day one. My 6 year old stallion lives with a 31 year old mare. He wouldn't dream of saying boo to her unless she invited him to. She never does! He's learned!

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA

If you treat an Arab like a Thoroughbred, it will behave like a Quarter
horse. ~ Libby Llop