[RC] Marking the OD Trail up Sherman's Gap - Flora Hillman

Well, I just finished hanging the OD trail ribbons on Sherman's Gap along the 75/100 mile trail this afternoon.    This section of trail is about 3/4 of the way for both divisions, and one of the hardest, roughest climbs up the Massanutten on the entire ride. Didn't take my pony long to figure out the stop-'n-go of hanging ribbons -- by about the 10th ribbon  he seemed to "know" when I'd spotted the *perfect* branch for a ribbon, and would just angle over and pause long enough for me to wrap a double knot before heading on up the trail.

By the time we were almost to the top of the Massanutten mountain (this portion of the  trail is over a mile long) the grade had become very steep and VERY rocky, and my guy was happy to stand for a breather, huffing and puffing and sweating in the heat and gawd-awful humidity, while I tied ribbons.  (Keep in mind this is a VERY fit pony who cruised to 3rd in the 50 mile tough Michaux Madness Extreme Endurance ride just two weekend ago, so I'm not riding a couch potato by any means.)  Fortunately, there was ample water and grass to be found on the trail for my pony to refresh himself, but  the 90 degree heat and 90% humidity were like a sledgehammer.  Thankfully the riders are going to have cooler, non-humid temps this weekend -- in the balmy mid 70's, rather than the miserable conditions my pony had to endure climbing that rough, rocky section of trail. Lucky them!!

But all was forgotten when we crested the top of the mountain, and I sat and looked out over the vistas and the valleys on either side.  The views were AWESOME!  Almost achingly beautiful. Makes me wish I was riding the OD 75 this year, but... other obligations took precedence; hence, my volunteering to mark trail.

I hope the 75/100 mile riders realize the trail up Sherman's Gap will be slightly less rocky this year ....because I physically walked back down the mountain leading my pony,  kicking away and tossing off as many of the loose rock as possible. They sure better appreciate it, too, since I'd just gotten my nails done!  :-)

Tomorrow is vetting in.  I'll be back at the Pickett Springs vet station in the afternoon to ride up Sherman's Gap one more time to inspect my ribbons, make sure everything is in order, and kick a few more rocks out of the way for the ride on Saturday.

Here's wishing all the OD 75 and 100 mile riders "Good Luck"!!