Re: [RC] Crosspost, please take a look at - Ed & Wendy Hauser

If I can believe a series of articles in the Missoulian this spring, this
panicky post is a gross exaggeration of what is going on.  Anything even
remotely related to ranching and beef cows gets a lot of in depth coverage
in MT.  I think that ranching is an important industry around here.

1. While the possibilities of including horses is under discussion, it is
far from a done deal.
2. The proposals specifically mention using  various methods that are
already in place.  All specific rules under discussion right now relate to
cows and other meat animals, none read directly on horses.
3. If you think horse owners are concerned about cost, you should talk to a
beef cattle producer.  They are really concerned about cost.  They run a low
margin business, and a cost per head that would be an annoyance to horse
owners, would put them out of business.  If microchiping becomes a standard
for large animals, the cost per animal will go way down.  Mass production
does that.  In 1982 I paid $3000.00 for a computer, today I can get a ten
times better computer for $400.00  An implant in a beef steer would last
only about 24 months.  The implant in a horse would last about 24 years.
4. A national instant identification method would be a boon to horse owners.
Every year we hear about stolen horses that are hard to trace, or about
found and probably stolen horses who's owner can't easily be found. If your
horse was stolen and then found could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that
it is your horse?  Would your testimony convince a city jury, confused by
Johnny Cochran, to send the thief to jail?  Even if you prevailed how many
months would it be before you got your horse back?  What conditions would
your horse live under during that time?.
5. The complaints that horses shouldn't be lumped in with cattle is a smoke
screen put up by those who want to prevent horses from being used in
athletic events.  The same folk that do brand inspection on cows in western
states already do horse brand inspection.  Regulation of horses is done by
the same folk who inspect and regulate  cows, pigs, chickens, dogs, cats,
mink,  etc.
6. Remember the flap on Ridecamp a year or so ago about how people could be
entering "ringers" in endurance rides to be able to sell horses and get
rich?  If this proposal becomes law and all horses that can travel and enter
rides are chipped, this possibility goes away.  Because he would need to be
able to do it for the rest his work, the ride vet would be able to verify
the chip in each horse entered.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins