[RC] Crosspost, please take a look at - Sarah W

Not endurance related, but definitely a concern for
any horse owner (especially large operations).  I am
not the orginial author, just passing the info along.

Sarah
Lansing, MI

Dear Fellow Horse Owners,

The federal government has launched an ID tagging
program whereby all
livestock (horses included) will need to be officially
identified with a
lifetime identification number via microchips or
eartags. For obvious
reasons, eartags are not suitable to equines, thus it
is likely the form
of ID that will be used on horses will be microchips.
The government
also seeks to register under this program all premises
where horses are
kept. Fees will be charged for all aspects of this
proposed plan as well
as the costs associated with the mandated veterinary
installation of the
microchip into your horse/horses.

Read all about this ill-conceived plan for horses at
www.usaip.info and
view the American Horse Council's PowerPoint
presentation at
http://usaip.info/USAIPEquineReport.ppt

Many horse owners are opposed to this program for the
following reasons:

We believe that this plan will cost horse owners a
great deal of money
to implement and we find there are no benefits to us
as horse owners
warranting this type of expense or plan.

We do not believe that horses should be regulated as
part of the human
food chain, as are cattle, pigs and sheep, because
horsemeat is not
consumed in the United States.

We do not believe that horse owners should be made to
comply with a plan
that is designed to to trace back the origins of
disease, such as mad
cow disease, and to ensure the safety of meat products
from livestock
that are consumed in the United States or abroad.

We believe that this plan will have a devastating
effect on the welfare
of horses, as many smaller horse rescue groups,
private owners and small
equine businesses will not be able to absorb the costs
of compliance
with this plan and will be forced out of business.

We believe that this plan is an invasion of our
privacy and of our
rights as horse owners and Americans. Because we do
not raise horses for
food in our country, we should not be forced by the US
government to
comply.

We believe that is our right to speak out against this
plan, and that
the opinions of this country's 6.9 million horses must
be heard and
acted upon by the groups who represent us as well as
acted upon by us as
individuals.

What you can do to help stop this plan for horses and
protect your
rights as a horse owner:

Forward the following information to me at
glv190@xxxxxxx if you wish to
have your name added to our list of horse owners who
oppose the USAIP:
your name, stable or business name, address, phone
numbers, the number
and breeds of horses you own, and the names of any
club or breed
organizations to which you belong.

Write to the horse industry organizations that have
members on the
equine advisory task force for the USAIP, and tell
them that you do NOT
support this plan for equines. A list of the contact
information for
people on the task force is provided below.

Write to your state and federal legislators, advising
them of your
opposition to this plan and asking that they NOT
support this plan for
equines.

Write letters to your local and national equine trade
publications and
magazines, exposing this plan to other horse owners,
and ask them to
help stop this plan from being implemented as well.

Forward this email to all horse groups and horse
related online forums
and advise them of the drastic need for them to do all
they can to
prevent this plan for equines from being implemented.

Thank you for your help. We must all unite and do
something about this
outrageous plan before it is too late, and the
government mandates its
intentions into law.

Gail Vacca
Illinois Coordinator
National Horse Protection Coalition
http://www.horse-protection.org email
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

USAIP Equine Task Force Roster:

Dr. Marvin Beeman
7677 S. Datura Circle
Littleton, CO 80120
(303) 798-2230
(303) 798-4431 (fax)

Mr. Remi Bellocq
The National H.B.P.A., Inc.
4063 Iron Works Pkwy.
Bldg. B, Suite 2
Lexington, KY 40511
(859) 259-0451
(859) 259-0452 (fax)
email: rbellocq@xxxxxxxx

Ms. Barbara Burck
Arabian Horse Association
10805 E. Bethany Dr.
Aurora, CO 80014-2605
(303) 696-4500
(303) 696-4599 (fax)
email: barbara.burck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mr. Doug Burge
California Thoroughbred Breeders Assn.
P. O. Box 60018
Arcadia, CA 91066-6018
(626) 445-7800
(626) 574-0852
email: dougburge@xxxxxxxx

Ms. Cindy Chilton
Palomino Horse Breeders of America
15253 E. Skelly Drive
Tulsa, OK 79168
(918) 438-1234, x11
(918) 438-1232 (fax)
email: yellahrses@xxxxxxx

Dr. Douglas Corey
Professional Rodeo Cowboys Assn.
77418 Hales Road
Adams, OR 97810
(509) 525-2502 (clinic)
(509) 520-2345 (cell)
(509-525-3003 (fax)
email: dougc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mr. Paul Estok
Harness Tracks of America
4640 E. Sunrise, Suite 200
Tucson, AZ 85718-4576
(520) 529-2525
(520) 529-3235 (fax)
email: paul.estok@xxxxxxxxx

Mr. Dan Fick
The Jockey Club
821 Corporate Drive
Lexington, KY 40503-2794
(859) 224-2700
(859) 224-2710 (fax)
email: dfick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ms. Cheryl Frank
USA Equestrian
4047 Iron Works Pkwy.
Lexington, KY 40507
(859) 231-5197
(859) 231-7371
email: cmfrank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mr. Jim Gowen
Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau
420 Fair Hill Dr., #2
Elkton, MD 21921-2573
(410) 398-2261
(410) 398-1499 (fax)
email: jgowen@xxxxxxxx

Mr. Matthew Heiman
American Saddlebred Horse Association
1750 Tysons Blvd., #1800
McLean, VA 22102
(703) 712-5060
(703) 712-5183 (fax)
email: mheiman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. James Heird
Colorado State University
College of Agricultural Sciences
121 Shepardson, 1101 Campus Delivery
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1101
970-491-6274
email: j.heird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ms. Peggy Hendershot
National Thoroughbred Racing Association
2525 Harrodsburg Rd., #500
Lexington, KY 40504
(859) 223-5444
(859) 223-3945 (fax)
email: phendershot@xxxxxxxx

Ms. Kathleen Henkel
American Endurance Ride Conference
P. O. Box 6027
Auburn, CA 95604-6027
(530) 823-2260
(530) 823-7805
email: aerc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Mr. Alan Hill
Back Country Horsemen of America
P.O. Box 492260
Redding, CA 96049-2260
(530) 221-8531
(530) 221-0831 (fax)
email: athill01@xxxxxxx

Mr. Jeff Hooper
National Cutting Horse Association
260 Bailey Avenue
Ft. Worth, TX 76107
(817) 244-6188
(817) 244-0873 (fax)
email: jhooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mr. Charles Hulsey
Tennessee Walking Horse
Breeders' & Exhibitors' Association
P. O. Box 286
Lewisburg, TN 37091-0286
(931) 359-1574
(931) 359-7530 (fax)
email: twhbea@xxxxxxxxxx

Ms. Bonnie B. Jenkins
U. S. Equestrian Team
Pottersville Road
Gladstone, NJ 07934
(703) 234-1251
(703) 234-0670 (fax)
email: bjenkins@xxxxxxxx

Mr. Jim Kelley
American Paint Horse Association
P. O. Box 961023
Fort Worth, TX 76161
(817) 222-6403
(817) 834-3152 (fax)
email: jkelley@xxxxxxxx

Mr. Bob Luehrman
U. S. Trotting Association
750 Michigan Avenue
Columbus, OH 43215
(614) 224-2291
(614) 224-4575 (fax)
email: bluehrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mr. Duane McPherson
American Miniature Horse Association
5601 South IH 35W
Alvarado, TX 76009
(817) 783-5600
(817) 783-6403 (fax)
email: ExecDir@xxxxxxxx

Mr. Dan Metzger
Thoroughbred Owners & Breeders Association
P. O. Box 4367
Lexington, KY 40544
(859) 276-2291
(859) 276-2462 (fax)
email: metzger@xxxxxxxx

Dr. Jim Morehead
American Association of
Equine Practitioners
P. O. Box 13116
Lexington, KY 40583-3116
(859) 255-9233
(859) 255-3116 (fax)
email: eqmedicaldrm@xxxxxxxxxx

Mr. Joe Santarelli
Mersant International Ltd.
158-12 Rockaway Blvd.
Jamaica, NY 11434
(718) 978-8200
(718) 712-0771 (fax)
email: joesr@xxxxxxxxxxx

Ms. Cindy Schonholtz
Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association
101 Pro Rodeo Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80919-9989
(719) 593-8840
(719) 548-4876 (fax)
email: cschonholtz@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Mr. Ward Stutz
American Quarter Horse Association
P. O. Box 200
Amarillo, TX 79168
(806) 376-4811
(806) 349-6409 (fax)
email: wstutz@xxxxxxxx

Mr. David Switzer
Kentucky Thoroughbred Association
4079 Iron Works Pkwy.
Lexington, KY 40511-8483
(859) 381-1414
(859) 233-9737 (fax)
email: dswitzer@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Peter Timoney
University of Kentucky
Dept. of Veterinary Science
Lexington, KY 40546
(859) 257-4757 x81085
(859) 257-8542 (fax)
email: ptimoney@xxxxxxx

Mr. Dan Wall
National Reining Horse Association
3000 NW 10th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73107-7302
(405) 946-7400
(405) 946-8410 (fax)
email: dlwall@xxxxxxxx

DO NOT SEND DOES NOT WISH TO BE CONTACTED

Dr. Mary Giddens
NA/WPN
P. O. Box 866
Winchester, OR 97495