Re: [RC] [RC] conformation question: hip size/proportions - Jean Diaz

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:22:39 -0400, A. Perez <walkergirl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  In the thread about 'no-name breedings' a comment was made
about hips as the horses 'motor' (I forget who made the
posting).  What is the 'ideal' proportion between the length of
hip vs length of the back?  Can anyone point to a photo of horse
or horses illustrating this ideal?  Also, is this apparent in
foals/young horses or does the proportion change/develop with
age?

The difficulty with evaluating foals and young horses is that they
often grow unevenly: one week they're hip high, the next they're
uphill but the hip is short and the shoulders are steep, two months
later they have a shoulder angle to die for and the hip looks fine,
and so on and so forth.  I just hope I like what I get when the music
stops. :-)

One of these days I'm going to make a printout of this picture and
actually draw the circles, but in the mean time I'll stick my neck out
and point at the picture at the top of
http://ambararabians.com/stallions/

The comparison to make isn't really the hip vs. the back, but the hip
vs. the shoulder.  I'm taking the liberty of reposting a recent
message of Heidi's to another list, discussing this very topic.

-- Ambar