Re: [RC] rider size Vs Horse size - Truman Prevatt

If I am not mistaken the 1200 pound number came from a one ride study. I suspect there needs to be a lot more effort before any fixed number can be given for the combined weight number.

There is several issues involved. The horse has sufficient mass to handle the mass of the rider. It's a lot harder for a 125  pound person to handle an 80 pound bale of hay than it is for a 200 pound person to handle the same hay bale. Ever notice the lightweight class weight lifters lifting as much as the heavier lifters. Mass is an issues.

 As a 6 foot rider I can tell you that I am not at all comfortable riding a short horse. There is something about the combined biomechanics that just doesn't work with me and a horse much shorter than about 15-1. I prefer them 15-2 to 16. The whole package seems to work together better that way.

Truman

Ridecamp Guest wrote:
Please Reply to: Skyla slstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I ride a 15.1+ pure Arab gelding, if there was a "Clydesdale"
catagory then I would be in it. Making the HW requirement isn't
hard, what is hard, is trying to convince people that my Wintec
really DOES weight 60 lbs! <G> There was an earlier mention about
when the horse and rider team go over 1200 lbs, then you will
see a decline in the endurance area. My horse is a tad bit taller
then "I" like, but he has legs of iron, and a short back with
fabulous rear end. We get along quite nicely, I do moderate his
speed more, as a whole. There are rides, and times that I do let
him "go play", and he does great and has great fun. Personally
I feel that if you truly wish to just enjoy riding endurance, you
shouldn't worry about horse "size" nearly as much as horse "structure".
Too small, and you will feel top heavy. Ride several, see what size
YOU feel comfortable on. Buy one you can live with and WANT to be
with. :o)

--
"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity

"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity.

  For this reason, he has integrity. The person of inferior integrity

  never loses sight of his integrity.  For this reason, he lacks integrity."