From: Marlene Moss
Sent: Jun 7, 2004 7:55 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] collateral ligament injury

Clean Clean DocumentEmail MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi,

Has anyone had a horse injure a collateral ligament (just above the hoof capsule to just below, connects P2-P3)?  My husband?s horse was trotting down a slight hill, around a corner and her inside front slid on some recently moved dirt for erosion control.  I saw it out of the corner of my eye, it didn?t look like a big deal, but she was off.  So he led her home and we?ve been checking her in the round pen every few days.  It seemed to get a little worse (head bobbing turning to the right) and she seemed very tentative where she is normally a big mover.  The last couple days it seemed a little better, hardly any head bobbing, but just not moving normally.

We finally made it to a vet with her (Dr. Barbara Page, who is well known for working with lameness) and she did an ultrasound to confirm the injury.  She prescribed stall rest for a month with 5 minutes of hand walking a day, then a re-check to determine where to go from there.  Quite a bit different from out 24x7 on 40 acres of fairly steep hills and we?ll have to keep her in with another horse or it will NOT be stall rest!

Has anyone had an injury like this ? how long did it take to heal?  One thing I thought of after we left was that I have a TENS unit which I know some people have had success with helping tendons to heal.  Any thoughts or experiences on using that for this injury?  I?ll be calling Dr. Page tomorrow to ask, but would like to hear about other?s experiences as well.  We will do whatever is necessary for a safe and complete recovery, but the prognosis isn?t clear yet.

Thanks for any advice or opinions!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis

719-351-5037 (cell)

719-748-9073 (home)

===========================================================One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think whatever you want. ~ Homer Safferwiffle ridecamp.net information: http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/ ===========================================================