Re: [RC] Rider legs bruising - rides2far

I thought I was
developing a splint.  However, after some more riding the left shin
began hurting, and the outside of my ankle on the right did too.
When I finally looked at them the next day, they were
bruised (bigger area than a hand on the shins - larger on the
right).  I am thinking that the muscles tore some, and bled into the
tissue.

I have occasionally had that "tearing" feeling in the shin and thought I
was getting a splint, on slow trotting training rides, but never had it
in competition until I was on the Vermont 100 course. There's lots of
steep downhills and by 50 miles I was in the worst pain I'd ever been in
riding. It felt like something hot & tearing. >ow<  When I got back to
the vet check I sort of pointed my toe up, flexed the muscle down the
front of the leg to make it as large as it gets (careful not to cut off
circulation), then put duct tape around my leg for support. I remembered
our basketball coach taping a girl's leg that had a splint like that. I
also took MANY drugs offered by everyone around.  I was fine the rest of
the day. Don't know if it was the tape, drugs, or a change in terrain.
Haven't had the problem again but I can identify which pair of tights I
had on that day by the goo stains on the leg from that tape.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop