[RC] Large Animal Rescue class - DeborahHuebsch

Hi Ridecampers,

Just took a two day fabulous class on large animal rescue.  It seems as though the Felton, CA fire dept. has been in the process of developing a course primarily for fire dept. personnel (and other similiar agencies) to better respond to horse (and other large animal) rescue calls.  The class was fascinating and very helpful.  I would encourage all who are involved with trailering and camping with horses to take the class.  (That about includes all endurance riders!)  We learned how to extricate horses from trailers that were turned over (they actually turned a trailer over and placed a 1,000 pound manniquin horse (named "Lucky") inside.  Our job was to get the horse out and right the trailer.  They also put Lucky down a steep ravine on his side and poor guy couldn't get up.  We had to haul him out (via ropes over tree limbs).  We learned how to make harnesses out of fire hose, use of slides to move horses, etc.  Our very own Julie Suhr was mentioned as being extremely supportive of this rescue effort (even had a slide  of her taken at the Fireworks ride).  If anyone is interested in details, let me know.  A team of 4 teachers will come to your area and give the course.  They like to have at least 20 but there were 12 in our class including 4 firemen, 1 animal control officer, 1 CHP officer whose "beat" was the Ortega Hwy where lots of horses are trailered for recreational riding, 2 county park rangers, 1 horse trainer, 1 DEA person.   The State Fire Dept. has gotten involved and they hope lots of people will learn to help turn some of these equine disasters into rescue success stories.

Deborah (S. Calif.)